Here is a list of recommendations for home reading activities that encourage your child to love to read. Please try to do as many of these things as you can.
1. Listen to your child read and you and your child should read orally together. Do this without frustration, anger, or excessive emphasis on decoding.
2. Read entertaining books, newspapers, and magazine articles with your child. Encourage many different kinds of reading from a variety of genres.
3. Ask your child about the stories that he/she read in school today. Discuss the story with your child.
4. Take advantage of technology to stimulate children’s motivation to read. You can use audiotapes, television, computers or kindles.
5. Encourage your child to experience a wide range of activities besides reading. These activities do not replace reading, but they nurture students’ interests.
6. Do activities that encourage reading with your child. For example, you could cook or bake by reading a recipe or read directions to put a model together.
7. Take your child to the library to select books. Allow the child to pick books that they are interested in reading.
8. Play board games or computer games that involve reading. Draw in friends or siblings to enjoy the game whenever possible.
9. Be patient and tolerant! Provide support and encouragement within a risk-free environment.